Tuesday, September 23, 2014

God's Children

First of all, let me say thank you for joining me on this journey.  If you like this page, please share.  Also, if you get a moment and haven't already, go over to my Facebook page and give us a like.  Adventures in Bluegrass and Bible Studies Facebook Page

On to today's post:

What does it mean to be a child of God?  What makes a child of God different from the rest of the world?  I didn’t talk about it last time, but 1 John 2:29 tells us that Christians are those who are “born” of God.  This is just an emphasis that the Christian’s spiritual life is a result of God’s redemptive work in us.  Once we are “born again”, we are called God’s Children.  So, what is the significance of being called the “children of God” and what does it mean for our lives?
1 John 3:1 says, “See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are.  The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.” 


The KJV says “Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us”.  Don’t you just love that verse!  It’s through God’s love that we can become His children.  It’s an honor.  Can you imagine the love that God must have for us to “allow” us to be His?  I imagine this as how adoptive parents feel toward their children.  Do you know any children who have been adopted?  We know several folks who have adopted.  Let me tell you, they love their children just as much as if they were born to them.  It’s unconditional.  That’s just like the love of God for us.  Do you know the song “How He Loves” by the David Crowder Band?  It goes like this:
"He is jealous for me, loves like a hurricane, I am a tree
Bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy
When all of a sudden I am unaware of these afflictions
Eclipsed by glory and I realize just how beautiful You are
And how great Your affections are for me
And oh, how He loves us, oh
Oh, how He loves us, how He loves us all"


That's the love that He has for you and I.  It's strong, like a hurricane.

Well, take a look at that second verse.  It tells us that the world doesn’t know us.  People who are lost know us, so what does that mean?  It means that they don’t recognize what we have become in Christ.  They may even look at us as religious freaks.  Why?  Because they just don’t know Jesus.  We should expect the world to treat us the same as the world treated Jesus.  Despised.  Rejected.  Think of it this way:  while Jesus was here on earth, he has a great following, they saw his miracles, they believed in who he said he was.  Yet, they were the ones that wanted to crucify him.  See how the world does? The world will turn it’s back on you.

But, look at verse 16!  It says “By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.”  Jesus laid down his life for you (and me).  Shouldn’t we be willing to do the same thing?  Shouldn’t we be willing to take the criticism of the world? 

Prayer:  Heavenly Father, thank you for allowing me to be one of your children.  Help me, each day, I pray, to realize the love that you have for me.  I know you loved me so much that you sent Jesus to die on the cross for my sins.  Help me, Lord, to remember that love and to share it with others.  Forgive me for ever not believing in that love. In Jesus name, Amen.

**Note:  I cannot take credit for the graphics.  I found these.  I apologize to whomever and will remove them if the owner doesn't approve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment