Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Good Life


I’m practicing for the real thing!  Sunday starts “Blogging Through The Bible” with the book of Esther.  But, I need the practice now. 
Psalm 1:1 – “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers.”

Today’s reading is from Psalm 1.  The book of Psalms is a book filled with worship, prayers, thanksgiving, from the nation of Israel to God.  We could learn a lot by delving into the book of Psalms about how we should worship.  Do you worship like that?  I know I don’t most of the time.  I think it’s time to change that.  God is worthy of our worship and praise. 

This first Psalm tells us what we must do to truly have “the good life”.  If we choose the right road, we’ll be graced with blessedness (happiness and full of blessings).  What does the blessed man do that the wicked does not?  Well, first he doesn’t ask the ungodly for advice.  Don’t ask counsel of those that are lost.  That will only lead you away from the light.  Secondly, the blessed man doesn’t “stand in the path of sinners”.  That means we must not follow the same path as those who are sinning.  Yes, I know, everyone sins.  This is different.  Sometimes, we sin unintentionally.  That’s not what I’m talking about.  I’m talking about intentionally going out and doing something that you know is not pleasing to God.  What about that party that you went to where all of your friends got drunk and you joined right in?  I’m guilty.  I made a choice to do something that I knew wouldn’t please God.  Was I blessed?  Only with regrets and a heavy heart.  Thank goodness for God’s grace and forgiveness.  Finally, the blessed man doesn’t “stand in the path of sinners”.  Well, what in the world does that mean?  Well, it means that we must not be involved or influenced in the conduct, behavior or habits of the sinners.  Really, it means that we must not act like the world.  It’s hard, isn’t it?  I know I struggle with it.  Don’t you?

Have you ever heard the song “The Ole Crossroads” by the Kingsmen?  Of course, this is a bluegrass song.  It’s one of my favorites.  You’ll find out, I have A LOT of favorites.  Would you expect anything else from me?  Here is the chorus:

The ole crossroads now is waiting
Which one are you going to take?
One leads down to destruction
The other to the pearly gate”

This song, to me, depicts Psalm 1.  You have a choice, are you going to “walk in the counsel of the wicked”, or are you going to be the one that “delights in the law of the Lord”?  Are you going to go down the path of destruction by following what the world and society wants us to do, or are you going to follow the narrow path to the “pearly gate”?  You know, only Jesus can help us with this.  Will you ask Him to help him with your temptations?

Prayer:  Heavenly Father, you alone are worthy of my worship.  Forgive me when I don’t praise you like I should.  Help me, I pray, to be the one that chooses the right path on the crossroads that I am presented with.  Guide my way.  Create in me a heart that only wants to choose the path that doesn’t go down the “worldly” road.  Forgive me of the times that the path that I chose wasn’t pleasing to you.  Thank you, Father, for the blessings of life, health, family and friends.  In Jesus’ precious and holy name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment