Friday, August 29, 2014

The Ideal Woman

Do you ever feel like you just don't measure up? As a wife, a mother, a friend, sometimes I feel like such a failure. What gives me this idea, you ask? Well, have you ever read Proverbs 31? You know, the one chapter in the Bible that tells us about all the characteristics that a woman should strive to be. I read that chapter every single year around Mother's Day. I hear sermons on the topic almost every year around the same time. That one verse that says "An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels." That's verse 10 , by the way. Am I an "excellent" wife? Nope! Far from it. Just ask my husband.  I'll be honest, I'm the world's WORST keeper of the home.  My house looks like a tornado came through almost at all times.  The woman described in Proverbs 31 is a remarkable woman who excels in everything.  Or, at least, that is how I see her.  That doesn't describe me.  I'm a failure as a wife in many ways.

Even though I may not measure up to these standards, it does give me something to strive for.  I may never feel worthy, but I do know one thing, God loves me anyway.  So, what does this "Ideal Woman" that is described in Proverbs 31 look like?  Well, let's take a look.

First, this "ideal woman" has FAITH.  See that?  It's right there in verse 26.  It says that when she speaks it is with wisdom and is "teaching kindness".  This woman seeks wisdom.  Isn't that what Soloman asked for, wisdom?

Second, the "ideal woman" RESPECTS her husband. Proverbs 31:11 says that "the heart of her husband trusts in her".  When you show respect your husband and allow him the proper place in the home, then you do him a great service.  Allow your husband to be the head of the household.  Don't be the woman who "has to wear the pants", so to speak.  

Another characteristic of the "ideal woman" is that she is HARDWORKING.  In verse 13, it says that she "works with willing hands" and in verse 17 "she dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong."  Does that mean that I have to be the perfect "Susie Homemaker".  No, at least I hope not.  Does that mean that I need to work hard and help provide for my family?  Yes.

The final characteristic that I want to touch on is located in Proverbs 31:30.  It says "Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."  Charm means "pleasant".  We can all be "pleasant".  But sometimes, we put on a front.  At least I do.  Don't you?  And beauty, well they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."  For me beauty comes from within.  It's how you treat people.  When you love Jesus, it's going to show.  And, let me tell you, it's beautiful.  Fear?  What is fearing the Lord?  It's not being afraid if that is what you're thinking.  Fear is recognizing that God is your judge.  Yep, he's going to determine our eternity, whether we like it or not.

So, even though the Proverbs 31 woman is out of reach for me, I can make her a model.  I can set goals based on this "ideal woman."  Her Godly character is what I want to strive for.  What about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment