Monday, October 13, 2014

prayer

I started a journal some time ago.  I haven't kept up with it.  But here was my first entry.  I used it during a Sunday School lesson on a Sunday that we didn't have a planned lesson.  I hope that you can take something out of it.  Journaling isn't one of my strong suits.  I'm not very artistic, so I don't do it very often.

prayer

1.  Prayer begins in solitude.
  • "Solitude" means "the state or quality of being alone or remote from others".
2.  Prayer includes speaking honestly to God.
  • When you are being honest verbally to God you deepen your relationship with Him.
  • He already knows.
3.  Prayer involves asking God for help and thanking Him when he provides it.
4.  When tempted to complain, pray.

Solitude:
Psalm 46 and 62

verse 1 of Psalm 46:
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble"

verse 10 of Psalm 46:
"Be still, and know that I am God."

"Be still" is a Hebrew verb that can be translated "to relax".

verse 5 of Psalm 62:
"For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from Him."

Matthew 9 is the Model Prayer

"The first thing we need to do when we get in God's presence is be still.  The second thing we need to do is be still some more.  Then we can begin to listen, and then we can begin to hear from Him and experience His power in our lives."  - Steve May, "Silence in Solitude"

Speak Honestly
Psalm 73:1, "Truly God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart."

Tell God your deep, dark, secret thoughts.

Asking & Thanksgiving
Psalm 13
David had four burdens:
1.  feeling forgotten by God
2.  feeling cut off from God's favor
3.  experiencing deep depression
4.  suffering the humiliation of losing

Be patient and wait for the Lord.

Temptation to Complain
When you're tempted to complain, use your temptation as an opportunity to ask for God's help and thank Him for His blessings and love.


I would love it if you'd go visit me on Facebook.  I usually update there on when I've added a new post.  Let me know where you're from.  Adventures In Bluegrass and Bible Studies Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment