Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Times of Trouble


Have you ever wondered why Jesus had to die?  Especially, such a brutal, horrifying death.  Hebrews 2:18 tells us why.  It says For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.”  Have you ever thought about that?  Jesus was tempted, suffered, and died so that he would be able to help us.  He is our help in trouble.
 

We are in the middle of revival at our church.  You’ve heard it a thousand times before.  You know the saying, “God will never put on me more than I can handle.”  Well, I had a revelation last night.  This is simply not true, nor is it biblical.  Roger Cook, a pastor and church planting catalyst for the West Virginia Baptist Association, said these words that brought that saying into very clear perspective:  If God never gave you more than you could handle, you’d never have a reason to call upon him.  So, God will give us more than we can handle, so that we can fully rely on him.

And, so, my reading in Hebrews 2 simply tells me the same in a different way.  Jesus is able to help me when I’m in trouble because he’s been there.  He’s been through temptation, trials, trouble.  He really does know what I’m (and you are) going through.  God in Heaven can aid me because he’s experienced what I’m experiencing.  Isn’t that comforting?  Psalm 91:1-2 tells us that “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, who abides in the shadow of the Almighty, will say to the Lord, ‘My refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust.’” 

If you are experiencing pain, struggles with life, troubles, take them to Jesus.  Jesus is there to love and heal you.  Just like the old hymn says,

Have we trials and temptations?
  Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged,
  Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
  Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness,
  Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Take your problems to the Lord.  He’s there to help you!
I encourage you to go like us on Facebook at Adventures in Bluegrass and Bible Studies.  Let me know where you're from.  Come over and say Hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment