Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Worship

What does it mean to worship?  Well worship is defined as "the reverent LOVE and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object."  God wants us to worship Him.  We worship God out of fear (not being afraid, but of awe), devotion, reverence.  How do we do that?  We can sing, shout, cry out.




Why do we worship?
For starters, we worship because of the blessings that He gives.  Second, we worship in spite of difficult circumstances.  And also, because of His grace and mercy.

Psalm 66:18 says, "If I had cherished iniquity (sin) in my heart, the Lord would not have listened."

What kind of worshiper does God want me (and you) to be?  He tells us in Psalm 1:12:  "Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night." 

Stuart Townsend and Keith Getty penned the song "In Christ Alone".  You may have heard portions of it from the Newsboys in a song by the same name.  It says these profound words:

"In Christ alone my hope is found, He is my light, my strength, my song; this Cornerstone, this solid ground, firm through the fiercest drought and storm."

Psalm 34 tells us how to praise and worship and the promise that comes from that action. 

Let's look at those verses:

Action                                                       Promise
(v.1)    extol (praise)                                always speak His name
(v.2)    boast                                              rejoice who God is
(v.3)    magnify                                         exalt His name forever
(v.4)    seek                                                deliver from fears
(v.5)    look to Him                                  never be ashamed
(v.6)    cry                                                  save from troubles
(v.9-10) fear                                              not lack good things

My final thoughts I will close with Psalm 103:1, "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name!"

No comments:

Post a Comment